Two years after: Senate takes a step further on the rescue of the Chibok girls | Nigeria Today
Pages Navigation Menu

Nigeria news, headlines, events , stories and all that is trending today

Two years after: Senate takes a step further on the rescue of the Chibok girls

– The fight against insurgency has been a major battle in the country

– Two years ago, over 200 students were abducted by insurgents and are still yet to be found

– The Senate have taken a step further to demand answers on their rescue

Chibok girls

Chibok girls

The Senate on Thursday, April 14, summoned Babagana Monguno,the National Security Adviser(NSA), and all security chiefs, to brief it on efforts made so far to recover the Chibok Secondary School girls, abducted on April 14, 2014.

This followed a motion by Dino Melaye representing Kogi West senatorial district and co-sponsored by three other senators.

Presenting the motion, Sen. Dino Melaye(APC-Kogi West), noted that besides the propanganda videos created by the Islamist militant group, none of those girls had been seen since their abduction.

He lamented that besides the fact that the some of the girls were yet to be rescued, the school where they were abducted was still unattended to.

According to him, the abduction of the girls has greatly affected the image of the country in the international community.

“It is a harrowing feeling knowing that these girls are still under the mercy of such a violent group.

“I can only imagine the state of mind of the parents, guardians and relatives of the missing girls. I am concerned that the abduction has become a myth and their whereabouts an enigma.

READ ALSO: 

These girls have dreams and aspirations and in the eyes of God and the laws of man, they have every right to pursue such dreams. We cannot succeed as a government until those girls are released,’’ he said.

Rose Okoh representing Cross River north senatorial district while making her contribution condemned the fact that after two years of the abduction, the girls are yet to be found.

She expressed concern about the condition of the girls, stressing that they may have been violated and some may have died.

“If at this time we are still telling the world that we have no answer it seems that there is something amiss.

“We need to wake up from the lethargy with which we have treated this issue. If it were any of us we will break down psychologically,” she said.

Shehu Sani representing Kaduna central senatorial district expressed his dissapointment saying that issues affected with the poor in the country are trivialised and measures would have been put in place to rescue the Chibok girls if they were from rich homes.

He also said that if there is no action in place towards finding the girls, the country will move from anniversary to anniversary on their abduction.

“There is a class nature to abduction in Nigeria, when the rich are abducted it takes few weeks to get them back, why must it take 2 years to get the Chibok girls.

READ ALSO: 

“When the federal government is ready, I have a strategy and advice to give, a freelance journalist offered to get these girls out and we have not done anything,” he said.

He called on the federal government to continue to use force and explore the possibility of dialogue for the release of the girls, adding that their abduction had dented the image of the country in the fight against terrorism.

However, Sen. Ben Bruce representing Bayelsa east senatorial district opposed to any form of ransom for the release of the girls because the insurgents might use such ransom to procure arms and continue with their despicable activities. He advised security agencies to continue with other alternatives for their rescue.

In his remarks, the Deputy President of the senate, Ike Ekweremadu, who presided over plenary, complained that the present police system in the country was responsible for abduction of the girls.

He said: “Our police system, where there are 300 policemen in a country of over 170 million Nigerians is worrisome.

“One reason this could happen is because of inadequate policing. This does not happen in US or UK. We must begin to think about doing something.

He described the abduction of the girls as disturbing, adding that Nigerians and the international community were asking when the girls would be rescued.

While urging Nigerians to continue to pray for the release of the girls, the Senate asked security agencies to do everything within their power to rescue the girls.

It also called on the federal government to take over and rebuild the Chibok Secondary School, where the girls were abducted, to alleviate the sufferings of students resident in Chibok.

The upper chamber further empathised with the parents and the entire people of Chibok and other Nigerians, over the incidence.

Over 200 students were abducted from their boarding school hostels in Chibok, Borno state by Boko Haram insurgents.

This stirred up a movement called #BringBackOurGirls who have been demanding for the release of the girls. Two years after, the girls are still yet to be found.

The post Two years after: Senate takes a step further on the rescue of the Chibok girls appeared first on Nigeria News today & Breaking news | Read on NAIJ.COM.

Do you have something awesome to share with the world? Click here to share

Do you ever have any question about anything you wish to ask and get answer? Click here to ask

Follow us on twitter @NigeriaTodayNG

Also, Like us on facebook

This post was syndicated from Nigeria News today & Breaking news | Read on NAIJ.COM. Click here to read the full text on the original website.

Comments

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar
wpDiscuz
Download the Nigeria Today app from Play store. Click here download now
Hello. Add your message here.