The officials said that the move followed an unspecified terrorism threat and it is expected passengers on U.S.-bound foreign airlines will have to check electronic devices larger than a cell phone.
They said that if formalized, the new rule would become effective from Tuesday and would be enforced by the Department of Homeland Security.
A source said that the ban had been under consideration since the U.S. government learned of the threat several weeks ago, adding that the rule would cover eight to 10 foreign airlines.
A separate government official confirmed an Associated Press report that the ban will affect 10 airports in eight countries in the Middle East and North Africa.
Media reported earlier the ban would include airlines based in Jordan and Saudi Arabia.
No American carriers were affected by the ban, the officials said.
Passengers would be allowed to carry in their checked luggage larger devices like tablets, portable DVD players, laptops and cameras.
Media, citing an unnamed U.S. official, said the ban on electronics on certain airlines is related to al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula and that some information came from a recent U.S. Special Forces raid in Yemen.
Media could not immediately confirm the CNN report, but reported that the group had planned several foiled bombing attempts on Western-bound airlines.
Royal Jordanian Airlines said in a tweet on Monday that US.-bound passengers would be barred from carrying most electronic devices aboard aircraft starting Tuesday at the request of US officials.
Included are those airlines that transit through Canada. Passengers can still carry cell phones and approved medical devices.
U.S. authorities are mulling with ban on larger electronic devices on airlines coming into the country, officials have told media.